If you answered that the bullet would just fall to the ground, congratulations you've won and this poser probably seems a bit nonsensical to you, until that is, you see how many people get it wrong, I was alarmed, it's easily the majority of people you ask the question of. The general consensus is that the bullet will hang in the air for a period, while it's "flying" and then fall to the ground. The fact that bullets don't fly, they're just objects in ballistic free fall, doesn't really seem to impact on that assumption, even if you use words of one syllable and pretty pictures to explain that fact. Now I confess, If I didn't know the answer and I was a little bit squiffy, like is generally the case at parties, I would probably have to think about it for few seconds, then there would be an, oh yeah of course, moment once I had it explained to me. You can divide the responses to the question, into several categories, which are:-
- Smarty: no problem, what a dumb question
- Slow but solid: works it out, eventually
- Dim: quick but with the wrong answer, accepts the correct answer readily
- Slow and stupid: wrong answer, may be reluctant to accept correct answer
- Intransigent idiot: quick or slow, will not accept the correct answer, even when everyone else in laughing
- Nutter: got it wrong, wont accept the correct answer, actively seeks to subvert the case for the correct answer, with coercion or social pressure, may succeed depending on their level of charisma or social status.