Sunday 10 March 2013

Hens

Here they are, more trouble than they're worth at the moment. There used to be three of them but last autumn around the time of the moult they got a bit sick. Vet said it was probably something they ate, could've been toadlets, maybe fungus or even rain water I suppose but one of 'em didn't make it. Unfortunately she was top bird and they've been a bit lost without her, they've become timid to such extent that they're becoming difficult, doesn't stop them from escaping to next door though. Realistically it's way past Paxo time for them, the eggs have dried up over the winter and they haven't got back to the feed properly yet, even though it's already March.




One interesting thing about observing animals is that you learn just how similar they are to people. Chickens are smarter than you think but they act dumb because stupid is contagious, so any group of them will only display the same level of intelligence as the least intelligent amongst them, see, just like people. I took this snap just as they were coming out of the moult, you can still see the quills sprouting on the neck of the one in foreground. Unfortunately it's not a great snap but I wanted something while their feathers were in nice condition although now top bird, who used to chase me round the garden, has gone perhaps they'll hang on to more of their plumage for longer.

2 comments:

  1. Aw, poor wee hen. Look after the other two. Are you going to get a replacement?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I should replace the bird I suppose but I might have to move out soon, so it's not a good time. She wasn't so wee either, quite big, used to chase me round the garden after corn and jump on my lap to steal my chips.

    ReplyDelete