Thursday 26 March 2015

Culture shock

I quite like pancakes, because flour is cheap and it makes eggs go a long way, so during the summer I will often knock some pancakes together, from whatever is available. The batter benefits from some fortification, the easiest way to accomplish this, is to make it with milk, if that's not to hand some other fat: butter, dripping, lard or at pinch, vegetable oil will do. It's easier with milk because there's no trouble with lumps, which saves some effort, you can make 'em without any fat, they'll just be a little rubbery that's all. In my naivety I thought My ad hoc approach to the preparation and consumption of these morsels was consistent with the broader approach but I've since found that, for those for who pancakes are more occasional fare, it's more common for precise recipes to be employed. Which is fair enough I suppose, if you're just eating 'em, once yearly on Shrove Tuesday. However I later encountered a conception of pancake preparation that I found far harder to reconcile. Speaking to a friend on the phone, the subject of pancakes came up, perhaps because I prepared some earlier that day. This friend was from the US, so keen to learn the differences between pancakes here and there, I asked for  details of how she prepared them. I was surprised to be told that something called Pancake Mix was available through normal retail outlets and the method employing that ingredient was the most ubiquitous technique. So I expressed my admiration at the advent of such a labour saving commodity, after all think of the convenience, no need to buy eggs or milk. It was at this juncture that the aspect of the commonly employed method of pancake preparation in the US became something of a mystery, because I was more than a little startled to be informed, that you still needed to include eggs, milk or fat additionally, to this so convenient Pancake Mix that you bought in the shop. "So this Pancake Mix, it's just flour then?" I asked, rather tentatively. There was something of pause in the conversation here and maybe the faint tinkle of one or two pennies hitting the floor.

"I don't know," was the answer that came back, I'm still not sure what exactly is in Pancake Mix, perhaps some powdered glucose, included to boost the calories is the justification for the existence of this comestible, who knows?





2 comments:

  1. I don't know either, but I quite like pancakes. I just buy them 'though, couldn't be bothered making them. My mother used to make them, but I don't know how she did it. Now you've put me in the mood for a pancake and there's none in the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah mum used to be good at making Welsh cakes, which are a kind of little fruity pancake but I accidentally acquired the task of making the Shrove Tuesday ones when I had a go when I was about 8, everyone expressed a preference for mine so she shifted the job on to me. I did try and give her the gen on making 'em but she'd always go, '...yeah but they wouldn't be the same as yours'. I didn't mind because, the cook in our house got out of doing the washing up.

      Delete