Saturday 27 August 2016

Predator and prey

Some days seem to have a particular theme running through them, the one that surfaced today was predator and prey. I encountered a kestrel pouncing on something about fifty yards ahead of me on the pavement as I walked into town. Later, on the trip back, there was a girl petting the cat that hangs round by the mill on top of the hill. That was something unusual because he's not a particularly approachable cat, having something of the beast about him, his garnet eyes incandescent with a fire that seems unearthly. She tootled on her way as I approached and the cat was going to retreat into the undergrowth, that was until something caught his eye on the other side of a fence. Zip, he was on it in a flash, he almost tangled himself in the wire he was that careless. I was almost on top of him by this time and I could see what he'd captured, some little mouse or shrew. As I sauntered pass, he was full of suspicion and warned me off with some of that fire that burns in those eyes.

2 comments:

  1. So you didn't mess with him? That was shrew-d of you. You mouse-t be careful with cats sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be careful with next door's cat if he craps on my lawn again.

      Delete