Thursday 8 September 2016

Super powers

Super powers as a device in the context of fiction and dramatic narrative, provide a number of interesting questions. Just what is their purpose within a narrative, why are they such a common element in fiction, where is the delineation between a super power and extraordinary ability. I think I can answer that last one, extraordinary ability is equivalent to a super power when it exceeds natural expectations or is unique to an individual. Therefore it is with some pride, that I can announce I DeadSpiderEye, possess a super power; yeah see, what do you think of that? Of course now that knowledge has been promulgated, I'll need to take better care of my secret identity.

Unfortunately my super ability is confined to a rather specific context and is not one that lends itself to engaging on a crusade against crime and corruption. As a consequence, I'm afraid the possibility of bringing to justice, those flagrant individuals whose malfeasance seems unassailable and immune the common standards of decency and morality, remains remote. There's not much chance of me exclaiming things like: 'Take that Keith Vaz... eat the fiery fist of justice Batmanghelidjh!' or, 'it's over Phillip Green!' any time soon. There is though, the slight possibility I might save the odd person some embarrassment, if they're in the market for a second hand car. You see my superpower entails the ability to detect a failing clutch friction plate on a car, purely through the sense of smell.

Doesn't sound particularly super I know but you'd be surprised just how extraordinary that ability proves to be in practical terms. I recall a trip in a mini traveller on the way to a lunchtime excursion to a pub, 'Your clutch is on the way out,' I says to the guy, Peter his name was. Good grief man, you'd think I'd exercised the clairvoyance expected of a charlatan at some passing fair from the reception my insight got. Incredulity quickly gave way to ridicule when I tried to explain that it was the smell coming from the transmission but that wasn't the oddest thing. No the oddest part of the episode occurred the next week, Peter missed a day at work and when he came in the next day, guess what the reason was; yep, his clutch had failed on the way into work, oops. Never missing the opportunity to say, I told you so, I reminded Peter of my prediction; he responded by insisting that it was merely a coincidence and my prediction remained specious. That's when I knew how Spidey feels to be so unappreciated but that's as far as the similarity between us goes. With great power... is not an axiom that resonates in this case and just trying to explain the odour thing is just too much trouble.

No comments:

Post a Comment